Celery 2011 (Professional Taste Award)
From the kitchen of Kiersten Walker
7 tablespoons butter
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 Dandy Sweet Vidalia onion
2 cups chopped Dandy celery
3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup hot sauce
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 and a 1/2 cups half and half
1 pound sharp cheddar
8 ounces pepper jack
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons fresh Dandy parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter down the baking dish. Boil pasta per box instructions. Drain.
- In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoons butter, add onion and celery and cook until soft. Stir in chicken and garlic then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thick.
- In a separate pan melt 2 teaspoons butter. Wisk in flour and mustard. Wisk in half/half, then the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce until thick. Add cheddar and pepper jack cheese as well as sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in bottom of baking dish. Spread chicken mixture over that. Then top with the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the entire top.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a dish, and add the bread crumbs, parsley and blue cheese. Mix to a crumble with a fork and sprinkle over the top. Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly!