1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Dandy Vidalia Onion, grated
1 ear of Dandy Sweet Yellow Corn, kernals cut from husk
2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup stone-ground or coarse-ground grits
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the Vidalia onion and cook, stirring, until transparent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels become soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, water, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Whisk in the grits, decrease the heat to low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the grits are creamy and thick, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, cheese, parsley, and chives. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
*Quick dinner idea: Serve alongside chicken or pork fresh from the grill!