2 Large yellow onions (sliced thin)
2 Sticks Dandy celery (diced)
2 Cloves garlic (minced)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon herbs de Provence
1 ½ Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 ½ Tablespoon butter
6 Cups rich beef broth
1 Cup Guiness Irish beer
1 Day old baguette
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. To begin this recipe you will need a soup pot brought to medium temperature.
2. Add butter to the pot and begin sautéing the onion and celery until golden in color (this should take about 10 minutes), then add the garlic and herbs.
3. Next add sugar and flour, this will soak up the butter forming a roux.
4. Stir the mixture until fully incorporated and add beer and beef broth.
5. Let simmer for 1 hour until vegetables are tender and flavor develops.
6. Finish the soup with salt and pepper to your liking.
7. For the croutons, slice baguette into ½ inch slices, top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake until crispy, use this as a garnish to finish your bowl of soup, enjoy!