Spiced Corn and Cheddar Breakfast Muffins
Never Miss a Recipe!
Sign up to get fresh recipe ideas and so much more.
What You Need
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp each salt, paprika and dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp each pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, cooled
- 1 cob Dandy® sweet corn, kernels removed
- 1 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease or line 12 muffin cups with paper cups. Place 6 eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; pour in enough water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a rolling boil; boil for 1 minute. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain water and place eggs under cold running water for about 1 minute or until cool enough to handle. Peel and slice in half. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, remaining egg, and mustard; whisk in melted butter. Stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Fold in corn kernels, half of the shredded cheese, green onions, and bacon. Divide half of the batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; nestle half an egg in each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter to cover eggs. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and tops spring back when pressed lightly. Let cool on the rack. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
- If desired, spoon batter into a resealable plastic bag with snipped corner to distribute batter easily over eggs in muffin cups.
- Older eggs are easier to peel. Don’t worry if eggs are misshapen when peeled, however, as they will still look good in the muffins.